In years gone by this was a reminder that now is the time to start making the matured Christmas pudding.
It is the time when the family gets together in the kitchen and mixes up the pudding. Everyone has a stir of the mixture and makes a wish for the coming season. The kitchen fills up with the smells of Christmas as the pudding is steamed.
We know that not everyone is a fan, but let’s face it - Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without a figgy pudding.
There are numerous recipes out there for Christmas puddings. Our favourite is this one from Mary Berry, which can be found here.
If you’re anything likes us, you might not have time (or even want) to cook a Christmas pudding. This is when shop-bought puddings come into their own.
There are plenty to choose from and most major supermarket stock their own versions of this Christmas classic.
Here’s a list of the main ones;
- Aldi Specially Selected Golden Topped Christmas Pudding, 907g: £7.99*, Aldi (Serves 8)
- Iceland Luxury Christmas Pudding with a Brandy Sauce Centre, 907g: £6, Iceland (Serves 8)
- Lidl Deluxe 24 Month Matured Christmas Pudding, 907g: £11.99, Lidl (Serves 8)
- Morrisons The Best Pear and Pedro Ximenez Sherry Christmas Pudding, 800g: £8, Morrisons (Serves 8)
- Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Cognac Laced 18 Month Matured Christmas Pudding, 450g: £5, Sainsbury’s (Serves 4)
- Heston from Waitrose Persian Spiced Christmas Pudding, 800g: £14, Waitrose (Serves 8)
*Prices may vary